In 1992, the idea of a new campus of California State University on Fort Ord is developed, and planning and negotiations begin. A core group of individuals with remarkable determination press forward into uncertainty, persuading lawmakers and officials one by one-from the capitol in Sacramento to the basement of the Pentagon-to obtain the approvals necessary to make the dream of a major university in the Monterey Bay area a reality.
You can read stories of 1992 happenings related to CSUMB either by starting at the First Story, then following the Next Story link on each page, or by selecting specific stories from the following list:
- The Concept on Paper
- Strength on Strength!
- How to Secure the Property?
- Community Task Force Releases Full Proposal
- The First $1 Million Appropriated
- CSU Board Gives Four Thumbs Up
- Former Garrison Commander Named Dean
- The First $1 Million Approved
- Discussions with Local Colleges Begin
- Planning Office Opens
- Fort Ord Reuse Group
- Clinton Elected President
- How the University Gets Its Name
- CSU & UC Sign MOU
- To Sacramento, to Washington, and Back Again